Saturday, June 11, 2011

The Life of this River Girl































Four years ago four other ladies and I decided what great fun a trip to float the river would be. We loaded up and went. Over the years our group has grown into 14. We have found our 'home' on the river. There are only supposed to be 12 people but we are so 'well behaved' :) that they let us have 14. Teeheehee! well behaved most of the time. So, four years ago:







We have come away every year with fantasticly fun memories. We have also come away with some sad ones too. Last year we witnessed the flood of 2010. We watched everything that wasn't anchored down make its way down the raging river. For many of the girls, flood was their biggest fear. I guess you could say, we faced our fears that day. Thankfully, the rains came the night before we were scheduled to leave and we made it home safe.












This year, we left with heavy hearts because a 23 year old man that was just ahead of our group floating, ignored the "NO JUMPING" signs and the barbed wire on a tree. He jumped from the tree and didn't come back up. As we approached the scene it was just beginning to soak in with his buddies that he wasn't ok. You want to talk about a party going rotten in an instant. These kids were scared to death. And for good reason. An hour later, search and rescue divers found him. My whole being ached for this guys family and friends. I can't think of a worse way to lose your son. The selfish side of me was just plain angry that he made the choices he did and our good memories of this years trip might be snuffed out. Then I realized, it is what you make it. Yes, a life was lost, and yes, it is heartbreaking. But, these are my girls, my trip with them is a happy memory. It has been every year. This was just an added memory. A sad one. We learned a lesson!!! We sure won't be jumping from any trees! Not that we would have anyways.
This year was filled with laughter! Lots of it, I'm talking its a good thing we were in the river for most of it. ;)
Like when Jennifer and Jo Jo had the pickle eating contest. And when I got that grawdoo stuck between my teeth!



















I'm so thankful for this beautiful group of women. We are able to go, let our hair down, and just be ourselves. God has blessed me with so many wonderful friends. I know that any of these girls would be there in a heartbeat if I needed along with my sisters and my lifelong BFFs like Aimee and Misti. Wow! How does a girl get so lucky?!



Thanks 2011 River Sisters for the BEST TRIP YET!

No comments: