Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Messing with the Wrong Mama!

Every day since we transferred Macy from the school I teach at to Canyon, she has cried. Every night before bed and every morning the water works are on. We have loved on her, soothed her, probed her, encouraged her, tough loved her, and done all that we know to do. We have exhausted our efforts to make her love school! Macy has never been a lover of school, but she's never been a hater either! I thought for a while it might be because for the first since Kindergarten she's going to school without me. She heard one of the students say, "that new kid is from dumbville!" ugh...I told her it wouldn't be long before they wanted to copy her work because she is so darn smart. We decided to let her visit with the counselor at school. For me this was a bit of a pride bruiser. Working in schools has allowed me into the lives of children with far greater issues. I struggled with the thought of her going to the counselor when she has a good, loving family, still intact and the most violence she has ever seen is on animal planet or her mother arguing with her Uncle Nathan. (let me just say, these are very healthy, normal, family arguments) :) I also know good and well that her little world has turned upside down. We are busy with church activities throughout the week, new town, new school...blah blah blah.

But, this morning I got so angry! She was crying and told me one of her teachers hated her and she has overheard her talking about her more than once. She heard her say, "that child has a horrible memory. I don't know how she ever tested into GT." Whatever that teacher said or didn't say wounded my little girl. My tough tomboy hates school because of something someone said without thinking first.

I guess I am so frustrated because I go to school everyday and teach other people's children compassion and manners. I love on those babies even on days that I feel like they have been true pills. Yet kids go to school and say hateful things and above all, a teacher!!!! throws words around as if she's not even there. I teach my kids at home to respect others, do their best and treat others the way they wish to be treated yet careless words are thrown around thoughtlessly. I am one mad mama!

I have emailed and got a response that I will get a phone call in the morning from this teacher. I really need to pray for a spirit of something....I don't know what. Any thoughts?

3 comments:

Melanie said...

Pray for God to give you words. If I were in your shoes, I would not trust myself to say anything constructive. I know that right now you are fuming (I don't blame you, I am too!) and what you want to do is give that teacher a piece of your mind. And who knows? Maybe that is what God wants to happen in this situation. Whatever you say, say it prayerfully. The words that come out of your mouth will be inspired and will have impact. I love you and you know I love Macy, you guys will be prayed for!! If all else fails, Aunt Melanie will make a drive and do some butt-kickin'. ;)

Sara Jo said...

I'll be in the car with Melanie! Give Macy a big hug from her aunt Sara, and just know that I'll be praying, too!

Melissa said...

the conference went really good. She was very apologetic and what it boiled down to is that she didn't really know how to deal with Macy. She is quiet and introverted and the teacher wasn't sure if she should make her talk or continue to let her...for lack of better words....pout. She did a little back peddelling so I know that Macy's feelings were pretty accurate. We had a good visit, she got a pretty good ear-full about confidentiality and professionalism. I don't think she will be talking about Macy within earshot anymore. :) We are on the same page now I feel quite sure.